The National Redress Scheme provides acknowledgement and support to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse.

It was created in response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, which estimated that 60,000 people experienced institutional child sexual abuse in Australia.

Redress is an alternative to seeking compensation through the courts.

The National Redress Scheme can provide three things:

  • access to counselling;
  •  a payment; and
  • a direct personal response from the institution (e.g. an apology) for people who want it.

The scheme started on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years. The Anglican Diocese of Ballarat joined the Scheme in December of 2018. This means people who were abused in the care of The Anglican Diocese of Ballarat can apply to the Scheme for redress.

People can apply now using an online or paper form.

Free and confidential Redress Support Services are available throughout the process.

They can help explain the Scheme and who can apply.

For more information, visit or call the National Redress Scheme line on 1800 737 377.


Emergency Support Contact Lines

If you or anyone you know needs help you can also call:

  • beyondblue
    Counselling for mental wellbeing, anxiety, depression and suicide prevention.
    1300 224 636
  • 1800RESPECT
    Confidential information, counselling and support service.
    1800 737 732
  • MensLine Australia
    Counselling service for men with family and relationship concerns.
    1300 787 978
  • Lifeline
    Confidential crisis support and suicide prevention services.
    13 11 14
  • Suicide Call Back Service
    Professional counselling for people who are affected by suicide.
    1300 659 467
  • Triple Zero

Professional Standards 

1800 377 842 [1800 DPS VIC].

A Director of Professional Standards has been appointed to respond to all complaints of abuse by clergy and Church workers.

Episcopal Standards 

1800 997 747.

Episcopal Standards complaints may be made against the Bishop of a Diocese. This is different to a Professional Standards complaint.